About the Workshop
The xAI4Biometrics Workshop at WACV 2021 aims at promoting a better understanding, through explainability and interpretability, of currently common and accepted practices in several and varied applications of biometrics. These applications, in scenarios comprising identity verification for access/border control, watching lists surveillance, anti-spoofing measures embedded in biometric recognition systems, forensic applications, among many others, affect the daily life of an ever-growing population.
Submission firm deadline: November 5, 2020 (AoE)
Author notification: November 20, 2020
Camera ready & registration: November 30, 2020
WACV 2021 conference: January 5-9, 2021
xAI4Biometrics Workshop: January 5, 2021
Call for Papers
The xAI4Biometrics Workshop welcomes submissions that focus on biometrics and promote the development of: a) methods to interpret the biometric models to validate their decisions as well as to improve the models and to detect possible vulnerabilities; b) quantitative methods to objectively assess and compare different explanations of the automatic decisions; c) methods to generate better explanations; and d) more transparent algorithms.
The xAI4Biometrics Workshop welcomes works that focus on biometrics and promote the development of:
- Methods to interpret the biometric models to validate their decisions as well as to improve the models and to detect possible vulnerabilities;
- Quantitative methods to objectively assess and compare different explanations of the automatic decisions;
- Methods and metrics to study/evaluate the quality of explanations obtained by post-model approaches and improve the explanations;
- Methods to generate model-agnostic explanations;
- Transparency and fairness in AI algorithms avoiding bias;
- Interpretable methods able to explain decisions of previously built and unconstrained (black-box) models;
- Inherently interpretable (white-box) models;
- Methods that use post-model explanations to improve the models’ training;
- Methods to achieve/design inherently interpretable algorithms (rule-based, case-based reasoning, regularization methods);
- Study on causal learning, causal discovery, causal reasoning, causal explanations, and causal inference;
- Natural Language generation for explanatory models;
- Methods for adversarial attacks detection, explanation and defense (“How can we interpret adversarial examples?”);
- Theoretical approaches of explainability (“What makes a good explanation?”);
- Applications of all the above including proof0of-concepts and demonstrators of how to integrate explainable AI into real-world work-flows and industrial processes.
The workshop papers will be published in IEEE Xplore as WACV 2021 Workshops Proceedings and will be indexed separately from the main conference proceedings.
The papers submitted to the workshop should follow the same formatting requirements as the main conference.
For details and templates click here.
Publicity & Local Organisation Chairs
Technical Programme Committee
Ana F. Sequeira, INESC TEC, Portugal
Ana Rebelo, INESC TEC, Portugal
Andreas Holzinger, Medical University Graz, Austria
Cynthia Rudin, Duke University, United States
Isabel Rio-Torto, University of Porto, Portugal
Jaime S. Cardoso, INESC TEC and University of Porto, Portugal
João R. Pinto, INESC TEC and University of Porto, Portugal
Jonathon Philips, NIST, United States
Kelwin Fernandes, NILG.AI, Portugal
Kiran Raja, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Norway
Luis Teixeira, INESC TEC and University of Porto, Portugal
Mark Przybocki, NIST, United States
Marta Gomez-Barrero, Hochschule Ansbach, Germany
Matt Fredrikson, Carnegie Mellon University, United States
Peter Eisert, Humboldt University Berlin & Fraunhofer HHI, Germany
Tiago Gonçalves, INESC TEC and University of Porto, Portugal
Tiago de Freitas Pereira, IDIAP Research Institute, Switzerland
Wilson Silva, INESC TEC and University of Porto, Portugal
Wojciech Samek, Fraunhofer HHI, Germany
Sponsorship funds are always critical in ensuring the success of scientific events such as this. The xAI4Biometrics Workshop 2021 organization greatly appreciates your support and participation and will do its best to ensure that your sponsorship meets the needs of your company.